[ColorForth] immediate

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but there are no archives for this list for me
to check out.

I have been using two versions of Color Forth: Flux by Sean Pringle and
4word by Terry Loveall.

4word uses color to indicate that words such as "if", "then" and ";"
should be immediate and the documentation for Flux indicates that its
early versions did too. Currently Flux uses two dictionaries, with the
"macro" one containing all the immediate words. That has made it closer
to Chuck Moore's Color Forth.

My question is: why is this a good thing? Using color seems simpler and
makes the code more readable. I can see that it makes it easier for the
programmer to mess up, but surely that isn't a great worry in Forth?

I am implementating a CF for the Atmel ATmega103 and have run into two
problems: the LCD is black and white :-) and this chip can't program
its own Flash memory. I wanted to do a resident system rather than a
cross development one...

-- Jecel