[ColorForth] Graphics initialization

Hello,
  I've been working on a driver for my graphics card, the Matrox G400. It
turns out this card requires a very specific initialization sequence. I
had couple of questions reguarding the way colorForth does initialization.

After the device is found colorForth executes this instruction:

or   dword ptr [EAX-4], 2 ; Enable memory

If I understand correctly, this writes to the devices configuration space
directly? If this is true, then at this point you no longer need to use
the CONFADD and CONFDATA registers? The documentation for my chip set the
82443BX does not mention this method of access. It says it supports only
Mechanism #1, which it describes as using the CONFADD and CONFDATA
registers. I'm guessing the direct access method is Mechanism #2? Let me
know, I don't have access to the PCI spec so I'm probably missing a lot of
details.

Thanks,
Mark