[ColorForth] Code sharing

Hello Mark

On 18-Aug-01, you wrote:

> I think some relevent information should be posted about working on the
> colorForth kernel with Linux. Perhaps my source conversion tool could be
> listed, and sources synced to different releases of colorForth. I also
> have some useful development scripts too, one is for compiling color.com
> and copying the source and data blocks, the other writes colorForth
> floppies.
>
> Mark

You do realise that colorForth is it's own OS and takes over the machine.  I
just want to make sure that you don't think it runs under a different OS.

The whole point of colorForth, as I understand it, is that it get's back to
Chuck's original Forth but is refined, e.g. from that line.

The whole basis of Forth was to use the same tools, to be efficient and
compact and not to have to go through a build/link/compile phase.  It was
also the OS and dealt directly with the hardware.

Most modern Forths do work on top of another OS.

What I think we should do is a Forth OS (colorForth) that has :-

1)   A very small core
2)   A series of standard high level vocabularies that can used if you want,
otherwise write the words yourself.
3)   colorForth to be written for as many microprocessors as possible (ie.
att least 50).

I would like Chuck Moore to be the overseer and give final approval/his
blessing, in the mould of Linus Torvald to ensure that colorForth stays
'on track' and does not become a monster like other Forths and the ANS.

I'll try and expand on this later.

Regards...Martin
--
---
   (1)  Women don't know what they want;   they don't like what they have

 -- Adam's Law