[colorforth] Color Forth for MISC (was:Hello, World! and other simple programs)

On Thursday 26 July 2001 14:07, Jeff Fox wrote:
> I haven't been able to get colorforth running on
> a machine yet.  I have thought of implementing
> a version on F21 but would like to get a copy
> running on a PC.

Same here, though on my father's PC I did get to see some colored
rectangles briefly before it rebooted. It has an ATI card, but it is
not AGP. Two other machines just showed black screens. How about a
standard VGA mode version (640x480 @ 16 colors... yuck!)?

Anyway, I never did develop a CF for the Atmel AVR processor because as
I thought about a way to get around the "no write to program memory"
problem and decided to look into token threading I found some really
great tools at http://www.tinyboot.com

Not only did it have a mixed token threading/subroutine threading
design, it also runs on the AVR, the 8051 and the Motorola DragonBall.
The AVR version doesn't allow you to define new words interactively,
however.

But I noticed that the people for whom I am doing this project have
more ambitious plans for the future, so I suggested that we might do
better with a MISC in FPGA instead. A 15K gate Spartan 2 costs $7, so
even with an external Flash memory it is half the price of the
ATmega103 we now have. A quick test of the free Xilinx tools with Dr.
Ting's nice P16 VHDL design resulted in a 25K layout running at a
surprising 50 MHz for the slowest speed grade chip. I am sure that a
design that used RAM for the stacks instead of individual flip flops
would be much smaller.

If I go this route, I would have something that would be almost F21
compatible. So my question is: any suggestions for porting CF to this
thing?

-- Jecel