[ColorForth] Chuck and Browser philosophy

Jeff Fox wrote:
> I mean everyone is always picturing
> EVERYTHING constrained by the idea that
> at best you can only ever really change
> less than 0.0001% of ANYTHING because
> everything is so damn dependent on
> everything else.
>
> I mean when other programmers, Forth or
> whatever, sit down for the most part
> they can't change the CPU archecture
> to have no fat.  They cannot change
> the motherboard chipset so that there
> is no fat.  They cannot change the BIOS,
> the OS, the GUI.  They cannot change
> the compiler or the language.
>
> They can't change the internet specs,
> they can't change the disk specs,
> they can't change app specs.
> They can't see any way to change
> any of that.
>
> They can't change.
>
> But they can.  Chuck showed that everything
> can change.  99.999% of the details
> that everyone thinks are "locked in" now
> are not locked in.

Yes, but you have to throw almost the whole thing overboard. I've got a
whitepaper on LinuxBIOS in which it is pointed out that there is currently 1MB
BIOS NVRAM on the motherboard, going to 2MB next generation. They propose to
replace the current crufty BIOS with one which, after analyzing the hardware,
boots directly into multi-user Linux, without disk access. Ok, now you've got
that running on a box with a 2GHZ P4, 1GB main memory, 100GB disk,
UltraSoundBlaster, etc. and your're going to use that as a development system
for Colorforth??  Mumble. There's an impedance mismatch here....

I wouldn't toss TC/IP, you don't want to build your own Internet :) But most
everything else could go, in principle.

Did you see the communal computers being used in India? About the size of a
large PDA. A town owns one, and each user has a plug in card containing his
configuration and data. Different paradigms!

> What? You think that there is real 3 dimensional
> reality?  Physical objects cannot do things
> like occupy the same space and time?  Folks
> that stuff ain't real!  Study some quantum
> philosopy, pick one at random ;-)  Study
> some Zen.  Try thinking about it.

"After we came out of the church, we stood talking for some time
together of Bishop Berkeley's ingenious sophistry to prove the non-
existence of matter, and that every thing in the universe is merely
ideal.  I observed, that though we are satisfied his doctrine is
not true, it is impossible to refute it.  I never shall forget the
alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty
force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it, 'I refute
it THUS.' "  -- Boswell's Life of Johnson

> Many people think Chuck is crazy. That being
> crazy is bad. Period.

"We all agree that your idea is crazy; the question is, is it crazy enough to
be right?"  -- One quantum physicist to another

Regards, KBK
--
   K u r t    B.   K a i s e r
   k b k @@ s h o r e .. n e t