[ColorForth] Cross purposes.....

Arthur W. Green wrote:
> So, with the risk of hopefully not to sounding too conventionally minded
> (aka. boxed-in), I am thinking that maybe I shouldn't entirely try to "get"
> Mr. Moore's ideas "just" from colorForth, which Mr. Fox seemed to have
> deemed nearly impossible anyway, and instead focus on what I can do with
> colorForth as I conceive it on the Pentium and see if anyone else actually
> cares in the end.

Bear in mind that the whole point of using Forth is to solve your problems.
The problems you are trying to solve are not the same problems that Chuck is
trying to solve, so you won't approach things in exactly the same way
Chuck does. This does not mean you don't have anything of value
to contribute.

Quick example: The IDE driver code over at colorforth.com is certainly
a clean, no-fat implementation, but it is not robust. I've been involved
with enough disks in enough different situations to know that you can't
simply assume the drive will respond to a read command by supplying data;
the drive may return an error instead of data. That IDE driver may solve
Chuck's problem, but it doesn't solve mine.
--
Roger Ivie
ivie@xxxxxxxxxx