[ColorForth] Toys (was USB and other serial bit boffing)

Myron Plichota wrote:

Stuff that I really liked about toys.
Don't kids have some wisdom?  Don't we all
love toys?

As long as people want to do it right they can.
There are also many variations on right.

But Chuck has complained that most people don't
think doing it right is even possible.

Connotation has become everything.  Toy is a
terrible insult.

> What this world needs is a good $500 "toy" workstation-class
> Forth computer that preserves the elegant simplicity of
> the well-recognized niche of embedded Forth systems.

What this country, no strike that the world, needs is
a good $.05 cigar, I mean toy workstation. ;-)

The $5 toy workstation is ancient history!

> The axiom "never re-invent the wheel" is seductive, misleading,
> and hypocritical: ...

But English evolved to sound bytes because seductive,
misleading and hypocritial speech drives and
protects the system.

I find that particlar cleverly constructed negative
deceptive soundbyte particularly funny.  I love
race cars.  I love watching them, I love driving
them, I love owning them, I love racing them, I love
working on them, I love talking about them, etc.

When you want to win the race one of the first
answers to how can we do that is, "Let's start
by inventing new wheels that will ..." ;-)

And Forth is SO good for inventing new wheels
and I LOVE to do that SO much.

And if you really believe that "never re-invent the wheel"
axiom that you are always spouting, please come out
to the racetrack with me, eat my dust and then give me
another good laught. ;-)  I can't imagine a lot more
fun!

But sure, English has evolved to be most effective
at helping to make the majory of people want the
same wheels and Firestone tires on their new
gas guzzling, dangerous, menace to society,
intentionally extravegant, planned obsolescent, SUV.
They want to be good citizens. ;-)

We live an a Hollywood cuture, gitter, and painted
prop fonts with no substance behind them. We have
a population carefully de-educated and re-educated
over the years by the new-speak soundbyte culture.

If the old "If you saw it on TV you can believe it!"
message is not enought now we also have,
"This came out of a computer so it must be logical
and correct!"  soundbyte to deal with.

I think one very dark side of computing is the
same as Television, it is so powerful.  It can
educate or brainwash.  There is very little
differnce except point of view and intention.

Those differences are easily hidden with newspeak.

Yet I think computers have a much much much
darker side than televisions.  I never worry
about all the effort to perfect television
as a killing machine, optimized to make humans
look like bugs to mecha.

After all, if we program them to automatically
remove all bugs for us, where will they start?
At the source of their computer bugs, the
organic bugs?

I just don't see how TV could kill of the
human race quite the same way.  I suppose
dumbing us down enought to significantly
effect the genepool could do it in the
long run, but that gives us some time do
deal with it and isn't as dangerous as
some projects out there.  Believe me!

Some ideas are bad and some ideas are BAD
and then there are the worst ideas ever!