[ColorForth] USB and other serial bit boffing

"Kurt B. Kaiser" wrote:
> and more. There may also be some USB devices in the pipeline,
> both disk and solid state memory (like the Sony memory stick).

National wanted to make 480M F21 on their "obsolete"
fab for their USB market.  I am sorry that I couldn't
deliver on that one.   After getting to what sure looked
like we were getting pretty close to signing the deal
fell though when the next level up of managment there
decided that they could not do busines with me if
I could not pay my phone bill and keep them from
shutting off my phone.  Hey, I thought the email
link was more important and ....

Oh well.  There will other interesting USB devices
coming down the pipelines.  But I felt that the
royaltee fees would make things a little easier
for Chuck and I to move a little faster and not
have to do everything with both hands tied
behind our backs. ;-)

> I can't imagine making the
> effort to interface colorForth to the CardBus
> (where there are things like a 5
> GB hard drive on a PC card  $$$).

5GB on a PC card today? Wow. I remember all those
years when I looked forward to adding a floppy
drive to the machine someday. ;-)

I alway thought Chuck's response was funny whenever
I would show him some new computer toy that I
was jazzed about.  He would usually say, that is
really neat, it would be really good if I could
replace the ... with my chip and make it ...
You know how Chuck is.  Nothing is ever good
enough for him especially whatever he is working on.
I love that about him.  But I enjoy getting
jazzed about toys quite a lot and they don't have
to be perfect to make me happy.

I have often thought how much fun "toys" are,
real toys, toy toys. I had lots of toys as a
kid and lots of them as an adult.  But toy
toy cars are safe, cheap, don't need licenses,
don't need insurance, don't have to go into
the shop, and you never had to drive them to
somewhere that you didn't want to go or
sit in commute traffic.  I also loved my toy
cars as an adult, and yes, seeing that
wall coming right at you sideways at 100MPH
in real life IS more exciting and fun than
the toy toy cars.  But getting paying 10,000
times as much, getting creamed from behind
while just sitting there at a stoplight,
getting creamed from the side going through
a green light, paying for repairs, insurance,
license and registration fees, tickets,
and gas and oil are not attached to the toy
toy cars and _most_ of the fun still is.

I felt Chuck had been insulted when he first
talked about his VLSI chips publically at
FIG and the first question was "Is it a toy?"

But later Chuck's comment to me made me laugh
instead of feeling bad so see them insult
and laugh at Chuck at FIG.  He said,
"And he said it like it was _bad_ thing!"
You gotta love him.