[ColorForth] reinventing the internet?

TCP/IP isn't perfect but it has had time to become
an addopted standard that enought people understand
and can work with.  It certainly could be replaced,
but then you are starting from scratch and you need
to learn all the lessons that have tuned TCP/IP over
the years.  TCP/IP isn't the best at anyone task
but has proven to be pretty robust and flexiable to
meet the needs of multiple types of data, if you
only want to support an single functionality, a stripped
down protocol could be used, but if you wanted to
add a second data type, and 3rd, I think you'd end
up with something not unlike TCP/IP.  It has support
of guarenteed dilivery, unguarenteed, realtime, ASCII,
binary, routing to 2^32 hosts, etc.., etc... .  And
now that the internet is available everywhere, the
benifit of compatibility is its single best feature.
Supporting limited sets of functionality isn't that bad.

Here is a link to a book that implements a web server
on a Microchip PIC processor with less that 1KByte of ROM.
And other examples of implementing only the specific parts
you need.

TCP/IP Lean: Web Servers for Embedded Systems
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1929629117/qid=1007594573/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_3_1/107-7271660-0665350