[ColorForth] The Cheap Video Cookbook

Hi Mark,
There are two "collectible" copies of this book on Amazon. Basically how to bit
bang a video interface.  I can't remember if he used color, probably not.
Probably just text based monochrome. But worth a read for the techniques, and
we've got a lot more power than an 8 bit 1978 micro =)

The Sinclair ZX81 was interesting because it used a Z80 (and very little else)
to drive an NTSC interface. The schematic was published. As I recall, the ZX81
was very busy with the horizontal drive and actually did all its BASIC
computing during the vertical retrace.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672217236/qid=1008199301/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_10_4/102-1416715-5016908

Regards, KBK
--