[colorforth] jpeg decoder

--- Dirk Harms-Merbitz <dirk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What will you do about Flash? QuickTime? Real?
>
> If people are willing to code for colorForth then
> please
> do not try to emulate Linux. We already have Linux.

Can you code Flash in 7 screens of Forth?  Many web
pages can be viewed without needing Flash or Real.
How many are readable without JPEG or GIF?  And why
on earth do you think JPEG is specific to Linux?
Chuck coded BMP in colorforth.  Was he then emulating
MS-Windows?  Of course not!  When iTV built a web
browser with JPEG capability were they emulating
Linux?  Of course not!

Now please think about your proposed solution of
writing a "new" lossless picture format and then
writing a converter for it for Linux.  Why?  What
are the advantages of the new format you are
proposing?  Will it give better compression?
If not, then what is the point?  Just to be
different?  And how will this work?  If I try
to build another internet appliance like iTV
and I try to browse a web page for every JPEG
the device will first have to send a request
to a Linux box to download the image, change
the format, then download it to the device.
That makes web browsing potentially TWICE as
slow.  I thought the CF mantra was 100 faster,
not twice as slow.  The only way there would
be a benifit is if the new format gave you
MUCH higher compression than JPEG or GIF.
(i.e. fractal compression or cellular automata
compression.)  But in that case I would want
to use the processing power of the 25x to serve
compressed graphics to Linux and not the other
way around.  I'm not interested in
using Linux as a remote procedure call server
for colorForth, which is essentially what you've
prescribed.

Regards,

John M. Drake