[colorforth] jpeg decoder

Dirk Harms-Merbitz wrote:
What will you do about Flash? QuickTime? Real?

If people are willing to code for colorForth then please
do not try to emulate Linux. We already have Linux.

I have to nitpick here.

There are a number of CF enthusiasts who would like to be able to read various file formats for various reasons. Some excellent examples of needing JPEG encoders/decoders would be interfacing with digital cameras, foundation for a Web browser, interoperability with legacy systems, etc.

That's not to say that we all need them -- that they should be made part of ColorForth proper-- but there can be value to sharing code for things that get repeated often.

Something else to consider is that though many of these legacy systems come with a lot of baggage, they also come with a lot of history. Sure, we could all roll-our-own audio compression scheme, but psychoacoustic compression is extremely efficient and extremely difficult to do from scratch. The ability to read format X doesn't turn CF into Linux, it just makes CF that much more useful when looking for a solution to a problem.

I mean, come on, you might as well make the argument that we shouldn't have a mouse driver because that would make us too much like Windows.

-Jack