[colorforth] PCI Soundcard

Thanks, Mark, for confirming that one would have to
"reverse-engineer" from the C files that Eric pointed.
I did this twice before - for the OPL3 FM synth and
the legacy DSP - only to find that Forth (being, as
you say, more compact and readable) quickly showed
these devices were inherently untunable to the pitch
of accuracy that I'm after.

To anybody who is interested, I can email two
Forth.com files that play the opening melody line
of Beethoven's first Rasoumovsky string quartet:
1.  In ordinary midi tuning - equal temperament.
2.  In harmonic tuning - Just temperament.

To do the same thing in 4-part harmony will
(I now fear) need something faster and more
flexible than standard PCI cards.

Any suggestions?  eg,
1.  writing for the new serial-only USB DAC
     speakers?  Am I right in assuming that
     Chuck still "hates the PCI bus" and still
     thinks "a serial line would be nice?"

2. Or getting a fast, simple, parallel DAC card,
     now that Chuck has given me the whole
     PC to play with - no competitive devices,
     no interrupts and only a minimal OS to
     interrogate if something sounds wrong?

Nick Maroudas