[ColorForth] code sharing

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, John Drake wrote:

> Using "blue string" to encode ASCII literals is STILL
> ASCII.  I'm really not following your point here.

I thought you were linking the form the source code takes to it's ability
to handle ASCII data. I was mistaken.

> > 25x is also of interest to me, I agree you need a
> > different set of
> > assuptions. The on chip memory is very small, so
> > need to factor the
> > problem very differently than the single chip large
> > address space pentium
> > machines.
> >
> > Mark
>
> True.  But the different set of assumptions that I
> was thinking about dealt with application more than
> hardware.  When talking about OKAD the main thing
> you are communicating with is the computer.  Thus
> having a "special" charecter set isn't a problem.
> When talking about the web (client or server) it's
> typically concerned with communicating with other
> humans.

No, you are communicating with machines using standardized protocals.

> That requires dealing with things like
> ASCII, Unicode ect.  Sure, you could still use the
> colorForth charecter set in the "background" for
> the source code, but at someone your system would
> have to be able to import/process/export something
> more extensive than the CF charecter set.

If I'm writing an internet application the computer at the other end does
care how my source is stored, what language it is written in, ect. The
whole idea behind these protocals is linking together a set of
heterogenous computers and heterogenous networks. As long as we can speak
the language, it irrelevant how different we are.

Now, when you speak of communicating with other people using the same
Forth or different Forths. This is a different issue. It doesn't strike me
as something that difficult. The main diffculty will be in the semantic
differences in the language operators. As I understand, colorForth has
some large differences with ANSI forths, so this would prevent certain
programs from being shared effectively.

Mark