Re: [colorforth] Octal in ColorForth for Music Notation? (fwd)

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Alice Maroudas wrote:

> Thanks, Robert, for pointing out which words in the asm are actual Huffman
> coded Colorforth words (hence, I presume,  available as the cyan macros in
> blocks 24 et seq).  So the rest, I presume,  are known only to the
> assembler - and this includes the words 'base dd 10'  and 'octal: xor
> current...'  But does this mean that one must go back to assembler?  That
> is, redefine as  'octal: mov base, 8'  to be consistent with  'hex: mov base
> 16'  and 'decimal: mov base 10' ?  Also, rename the present 'octal:'  as
> 'togglekey:'
> and put in some extra 'xors' to make a ring, as suggested by Mark Slicker
> in his current dialogue with Jimmy Soederman (Re:  Numbering crunching).
>
>     This seems pretty heavy compared to FigForth (8 base ! or 2 base !).
> I don't mind doing the work, it's in a good cause - an improved musical
> keyboard - but I wish to do it ColorForth, not to reassemble nor poke the
> kernel.   Is there a way?

Yes, it does look a bit involved. You could do this in colorForth except
you would have to rewrite the editor. If I am not mistaken Chuck Moore is
rewriting colorForth in colorForth, but he has not made any anouncement of
a release. I was planning to rewrite the editor, but I am not sure exactly
when I will get to it.

Just note I don't think this xor trick will work with more than two
values. It apears to use a cancellization property of exclusive or.

X ^ Y ^ X = Y
X ^ Y ^ Y = X

Mark