Re: [colorforth] Creating a boot floppy with linux / response

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Uwe Lauth wrote:

> Hello
>
> can anyone give me a hint how to create the boot floppy with linux?
> I did the following
> dd if=color.com of=/dv/fd0
> But I can't copy the other files (e.g. color.asm) to the floppy;
> when I mount the floppy and type ls, I see only noise.
>
> Another question:
> does colorforth run in console mode withouth graphics.
>
> Regards,
> Uwe

Uwe, Tim here.

you are close, I thought this might help.

Mark slikker has written short nice scripts based on dd to get or put
1 or more CF blocks on a disk or get them off.

these scripts are called bput and bget. and can be found at mark slicker's
excellent site. google can find this url for you.

a second issue is that once the color.bin file is put on the floppy
it will be bootable. however there is no filesystem.
therefore things like ls, cp and the like can not help.
CF does not use files to access the disk. It does have the word file
so that files can be shared with os's that are filesystem based.

under CF one can put things in a file that has been prepared with
linux/dos or so. The word for this is called file. more instructions
on how to use the word file is available on http://color.com

btw if you are also able to irc there is a colorforth chat channel on
the ircnet. it is called #c4th. If you have a 7/24 connection #c4th
could be a big help in the first few steps of CF.

It a lot like this list is fairly quiet.

I will be available for a chat later tonight. about 19:00 GMT.
and will assist if I can.

With kind regards,

Tim Neitz