[colorforth] cfvt52

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Nick Maroudas wrote:

> Dear Tim
>
> >From 4 hours of use to 40 pw in one big step!  Does this mean I could use
> CF for dial-up mail through my 115200 Hz modem on Com1?  Currently running
> telnet with Linux.
>
> But my CF is Chuck's Masm version - would that have to change to Nasm?
>
> Nick Maroudas

Dear Nick, Tim here.

In short yes, you could use it with a modem to call an isp provider that
still gives shell access.

If the unix program "screen" is available you can have many windows open at
the same time. This has worked really well for me. It will also let some
programs run as if cfvt52 had vt100 emulation.

I let my unix machine call the isp on com1 via modem, and have com2 cabled directly to
a colorforth machine with a null modem cable.

It is all high level coloforth code and should not be (very) kernel sensitive.
I believe I have even tested it with Dr. Moore's older kernel (the one currently on
his site). I would be willing to assist if you run into trouble.

The image I have posted includes the nasm kernel from Peter Appelman.
you can make a boot floppy with bput as follows.

From unix:
bput 0 cfvt52.blk

From colorforth:
130 load
Will (attempt to) load and start cfvt52.

Pressing the left ctrl&shift keys will bring you back to the colorforth
prompt. One can jump back and forth from cfvt52 and the colorforth prompt without
loosing the connection. use 130 load to reload cfvt52, use ctrl+L to ask
unix to refresh the display once back in cfvt52.

You also could overwrite this kernel, with something like.
boot your kernel, swap floppies,
0 0 3 writes

With kind regards,

Tim Neitz.