RE: [colorforth] FS/Forth for DOS: crude performance test

> I think that 4IM ( http://membres.lycos.fr/astrobe ) may interest you.
> I'm also interested in comparing performances of our systems.

When I get the chance, I'll take a look at it.  It has to run under DOS though
(e.g., it cannot be a Windows command prompt application), since my laptop
neither has Windows on it, nor is it capable of running Windows anymore.

> 4IM is subroutine threade with code inlining. I've chosen to you AX as stack
> pointer and
> SP as return stack pointer because XCHG AX SP is one byte long and uses only
> 3 cycles, which
> allowed me to inline DROP, DUP and co. in the size of a call.

My future FS/Forth will be built more for speed than small compiled size.  I
just recently upgraded my desktop computer to 640MB of RAM, so I think I have
plenty of storage space to do this with.  :-)  Even with the laptop's 8MB,
that's enough that I can afford 7 to 15 byte instruction sequences if it helps
me reduce the cycle counts.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II