Re: [colorforth] forth taxonomy

On Sunday, Aug 3, 2003, at 02:02 Europe/Amsterdam, Mark Slicker wrote:

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Kurt B. Kaiser wrote:

Mark Slicker <maslicke@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Forth has a long history. I'm only familer with one implementation
(colorForth), is there classification of past techiniques? I feel I would be more able in implementing new colorForths if I understood the breadth
of past Forth implementations.

I don't think that is necessarily true.

[...]

If I were you, I'd ignore ANS Forth.  You're doing great, don't
contaminate yourself :-)

Good advice! I have probably taken on well enough contamination from C and
friends :)

I would assume that someone implementing his/her Forth would be interested
in the relation between this Forth and the underlying hardware.
Yes, you could look at past, current and future Forth implementations without
any hesitation, whatsoever.

None of the implementation techniques mentioned in another reply to you,
have anything to do with ANS Forth!! Previous standards did prescribe a
certain implementation technique. Many proclaimed ANS Forth programs/scripts
run on quite a variety of different implemented Forth systems.
No, don't look at ANS Forth for an implementation technique, because that's
(exactly) what ANS Forth tells you to do.

 One of the 'hot' implementing technique items at the moment is compiler
optimization. Developers of diverse Forth systems show their results on clf.
An in may ways interesting thread is: Forth compiler techniques,
originated as an optimization realised in a native compiling Forth, but which
is evolving way beyond that. Makes 'you'(me) thinking.

Something else you might find interesting is the study from Reuben Thomas with respect to a machine- and native Forth implementation on an ARM processor:
http://dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/forth/euro/ef99/thomas99a.pdf

many regards
Roelf