RE: [colorforth] Some constructive criticism

[...]
> I realize that Chuck doesn't have time to
> properly maintain this page, but there
> should at least be a link to pages that are
> more up to date.  The only ColorForth link
> I see is to Jeff Fox's page.  Jeff's page
> does have links to Windows colorforth and
> XColorForth, but not to the VESA
> implementations.  (At least if it's
> there I didn't see it.)  So starting from
> www.colorforth.com there is no way (that
> I see) that people can "surf" their way
> to the VESA versions of ColorForth.

[...]
> And yes, I realize that there are those at
> c.l.f who are just "making noise" but
> there might be others who are seriously
> interested but are having a hard time
> "getting started".
>
> Regards,
>
> John M. Drake

There's people on c.l.f. talking about the 'colorforth community' but I
wonder if it really exists. A community suppose something in common and I
wonder if we have even colorForth in common. I if nothing else subscribed
this mailing list never ran the original Colorforth. I'm more interested by
the ideas in CF than in CF itself, and pick some to include them in my
system. Well maybe it means that I'm not a true member of this community :)
I think that everyone will agree with you that a maintained page for
ColorForth would be nice for us and anyway who would like to give it a try
but I bet that everyone is just to busy to do it. On the other hand there
are some people who had some time to setup nice pages around Colorforth on
the Web and from time to time they update it.
One solution I see is to let everyone contribute when he/she has time for it
on a community site. It also could centralize Colorforth related links, too.
If you really want it, start it up yourself.

Mark Slickers, Howerd Oakford ( are you here?) and Roman Pavlyuk have done a
pretty good job to let people try Colorforth; the hardware compatibility
issues are no more a problem if you want to discover CF. The very last thing
that prevent the mainstream newbie from having a deep look at Colorforth is
the keyboard layout. IIRC Jeff wrote in c.l.f. that ColorForth was really
for everyone. The unusual keyboard layout probably shows some important
concepts or techniques but IMO it also makes it not for everyone, but for
anyone seriously interested in it. I regret that the mainstream Forth
program discards CF that I consider the state-of-the-art of Forth, just
because it is too hard to type something in. I bet CF would become
instantaneously popular with a standard QWERTY layout.

Just my 0.02EUR...

 Amicalement,
  Frederic