Re: [colorforth] How is colorForth different from other Forths?

--- Mark Slicker <maslicke@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > 2) There is no ALLOT or equivalent, you have to
> use 1, 2, 3, ,. What if you
> > need a larger buffer? Top of dictionary used to be
> a nice temporary buffer
> > in F-83, but since there is no _core_ way to move
> here back, this technique
> > is harder to use. I can write my own temp buffer
> word and comma-words that
> > work with this buffer, but why create extra
> entities?
>
> If you need a temporary buffer, do you even need
> allot? Why not just use
> the dictionary pointer, wherever it is currently
> located?
>

> > I used [ 0 drop -if ]  to compile a jump that
> skips a compiled string. While
> > possible, it's a bit ugly J Though, I did not want
> to compile a forward
> > branch - as to be, either core has to support
> constructs like this, or
> > explain why you shouldn't use them. I'd prefer
> F-83's >MARK <RESOLVE
> > approach - to me it's a bit clearer.

Looking at the wordlist link that Mark provided I
see two words that might handle this.  The words
are:

 "mark" - Record current dictionary pointers
and
 "empty" - Record current dictionary pointers

See:

http://kristopherjohnson.net/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Main/ColorForthWord

Regards,

John M. Drake