Re: [colorforth] arrays in source

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Howerd Oakford wrote:

> Hi Mark & all,
>
> At last I have joined the colorForth mailing list...

Welcome. :)

> I like your aray idea.
> I particularly like the fact that you can extend the number tokens in any
> way that you like.
> I presume that you are using colours 2 and 5 for this.
> This will be quite simple to do when the editor has been ported to
> colorForth...

Yes, 2 and 5. It seems if you gave a few more bits to display type, you
could represent other sequence objects like ASCII strings.

I'm not sure where the idea is going, it occurred to me so I thought I
would post it.

I'm convinced I need build more and more applications before I add or take
away anything from colorForth.

> Below is a more general and more complicated idea that I present for
> discussion :
>
> I have been thinking about what I call a "blue class" :
>
> Token 1 : colour blue ( = 0x0D ), name of "class"
> Token 2 : name of word to display parameter field
> Token 3 : name of word to execute ( sort of "code field" ), plus a count of
> the number of tokens in the parameter field in the place of the colour bits.
> Token 4 ... n : parameter field.
>
> Perhaps "class" is not a good name - it implies CREATE ... DOES> - which
> this is not.
> The idea is that the editor uses token 2 to display the parameter field (
> could be a string ).
> When the blue name is compiled it lays down a pointer to token 3.
> When the blue name is executed it executes token 3 and uses the parameter
> field for data.
>
> Example :
>
> Token 1 : [blue] myname
> Token 2 :  dotquote
> Token 3 : [ skip over the parameter field ] ( has count in place of colour
> bits )
> Token 4 : [ the string to display ]

Does this define a new word?