Re: [colorforth] Dare I say ANS!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Howerd Oakford" <howerd.oakford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <colorforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 11:38 AM
Subject: Re: [colorforth] Dare I say ANS!

> Hi Roman,

FIG,
> > F83, ANSI, whatever, because for more or less long term projects (we all
> > like these, don't we? :) there's a big sense in not using any legacy
code
> > nor any third party components (at least, w/o thorough code review). So,
> for
> > me it's better have all primitives documented rather that rely of
knowing
> > that semantics has not changed.
> Certainly all primitives should be documented, but surely it is better if
> words in the ANS standard only exist in colorForth if they have the same
> functionality? ANS does at least provide standard names, and I have spent
> unecessary time wondering about i , ?dup, - and a few others because I
> assumed I knew what they did, but was wrong. OK, I know now, but why
subject
> ANS Forth programmers to such annoyance for the sake of a few name
changes?

> Regards
>
> Howerd

Since you asked I will tell you that I gather the reason is so that Chuck
will not have any constraints on how he improves his system.  Some times one
has to ignore the rules if you want to find a better way, or even just to
experiment.

As an inventor have tried all kinds in different things I certainly did not
hold back because of any outside influence.

John A. Peters