Re: [colorforth] How is colorForth different from other Forths?

On Thursday 22 January 2004 04:13 am, Frédéric DUBOIS wrote:
> Well, no. Many species have increased or decreased their sizes over
> the time; therefore the size of their brains as also varied.
> The intelligence of an animal has few to do with the size of it's
> brain. I heard that the brain/body size ratio is a better indicator.
> Still, it does not explain variations of IQ within one species.
> Probably a networking issue... :)

The human species is a great example.  We know that Neanderthal man was
slightly larger than we were, but also had a markedly larger skull.  One
can surmise from this that they actually had superior intelligence to
us.

What enabled cromagnon to outlive them?  The one thing they *didn't* have
was a well-formed vocal box, while cromagnons did.  Thus, scientists
believe that it was the gift of *speech* that enabled cromagnons to
express a larger degree of ideas and concepts than the neanderthals
could.

> The word 'evolution' is somewhat misleading because it is in the
> semantic field of 'progres'. The process of evolution as described in
> the modern theory of Darwin is the constant adaptation of animals to
> the environment thru the natural selection.

Yes, and complexity breeds complexity.  A single amoeba holds little
chance against a multi-cellular life form (yes, I'm familiar with
Amoebic Dissentary, but that's caused by LOTS of amoebas running around,
not one).  One needs either lots and lots of amoebas (the embedded
computing case), something fundamentally *different* (e.g., viruses;
dataflow processors, hardware neural nets, or traditional [perhaps even
slow] CPUs with good vector processing capabilities [see Cray X1 CPU for
instance] are good examples), or additional complexity (multicellular
organization, intelligence, etc.; Chuck's 25X, CPUs with superscalar
architectures and at least 4 stages per pipeline) to be able to compete
for resources successfully.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II