Re: [colorforth] PCI soundcard (was How is colorForth different from other Forths?)

Hi Nick,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Maroudas" <alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <colorforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Maroudas at bm" <alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 11:54 AM
Subject: [colorforth] PCI soundcard (was How is colorForth different from
other Forths?)

[snip]

> This is work in progress, but I hope it shows how CF can help in
> "dispelling the user illusion".  In contrast, Creative's software
> encourages the illusion of still programming its ES1371 soundcard thru a
> 1bit ISA port at 220.  Linux's software admits the PCI reality and
communicates
> directly with the AC97 - but aims to create the illusion of still
> programming it via an ES1371 soundcard!
Excellent! Progamming actual hardware is so much simpler than programming an
API, provided you have the info...

> Details on request, or on the wiki.
Yes, please give more details.... And what is the URL of the Wiki?
Better still, could you post ( or email me ) your actual source?
( Or use CFDOS.com and press U to upload the binary from your floppy, press
F4 to convert to colourblind mode, and copy/paste from a Windows DOS box. )
I have some gaps in my understanding of the North Bridge chip, and how you
relate its registers to PCI cards. Any help appreciated...

> Help welcome.
Anything I can do!

Regards

Howerd