Re: [colorforth] DOES> How is colorForth different from other Forths?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:

> ......The thing
> with ColorForth, MachineForth, and the whole concept of the MISC
> architecture is that they are *so simple* that there is *nothing* to
> discuss.This is a very liberating thing.
>
> ... MISC ... the concept is so simple that a teenager with a year's
> experience hacking TTL circuitry can replicate the CPU, in its entirety,
> in discrete component TTL logic, based *entirely* from online material
> accessible today.E.g., the CPU si so simple, it's virtually public
> domain.
>
> Likewise with ColorForth, and I believethis is why Chuck released
> ColorForth to the public domain.The software is just too simple.
> There are no parsers in the traditional sense of the word ...
>
> The only thing one needs to do is write a tutorial on using ColorForth,
> on how PAD words, on how to code graphics routines, and maybe a few
> other tid-bits, tips, and tricks.I predict a 13-page manual (if that)
> is all that'd be needed for someone even half-way familiar with Forth in
> general to become virtually a virtuoso with ColorForth.
>
> --
> Samuel A. Falvo II

  Dear Sam

            Agreed, CF is a Sancta Simplicitas.  As the Shakers
say, it a gift to be simple and a gift to be free.  That's why CF
appeals to at least one 70-year-old (old enough to regard your
25-year-old Mazda RX-7 as a "recent concept" - sorry!) but who is
doing his best to help fill in the tid-bits, tips'n'tricks section.  Chuck
has already written about 1/3 of that 13-page manual; Terry, Mark, Chris,
Tim and other stalwarts have about half of the rest, scattered between
these pages and the wiki.  Now it needs some really knowledgable and
articulate person to put the manual together (hint hint) ....

            Oh, and a teenager please, for some hardware - but that
might need a different, longer thread to discuss.

  Nick