Re: [colorforth] ?dup

On Sunday 25 January 2004 02:36 am, Arthur W. Green wrote:
> >Perhaps the optimizing word  ?dup  could be renamed  /dup . The
> > original mnemonic intention was: is a  dup  necessary? The new
> > mnemonic would be: cancel  dup  if possible.
>
> Personally, I find ?DUP more intuitive. My first impulse is that /DUP
> has something to do with division. But, either one is fine by me.

I would have chosen ?dup<- -- a bit lengthy and awkward to type, perhaps,
but it's a bit symbolic and more or less follows other established Forth
conventions.  The ? *prefix* indicates that the word *optionally* does
something.  In this case, it'd be dup<- , which to me reads as
'backspace over DUP'.  But, hey, that's just me.  :D

--
Samuel A. Falvo II