Re: Re(2): [colorforth] DOES> How is colorForth different from other

From: "Arthur W. Green" <goshawk@xxxxxxxxx>
>>I posit, absolutely, that MISC can *never* catch
>>on commercially (sorry Chuck), because the concept is
>>so simple that a teenager with a year's experience
>>hacking TTL circuitry can replicate the CPU, in its
>>entirety, in discrete component TTL logic, based
>>*entirely* from online material accessible today.
>>E.g., the CPU si so simple, it's virtually public
>>domain.

>So, I submit, that *especially* because MISC is so
>simple that it *will* catch on commercially.

I think you and Sam are actually in agreement -- but Sam's
pointing out something different, namely that all the
pioneering work that Chuck's done could be wasted, since
anyone can easily reproduce it (once they know that it
could be done).

Why pay Chuck for MISC when you can get most of its
benefits just by hiring a mediocre hardware engineer to
read his webpage?

>>Likewise with ColorForth, and I believe this is why
>>Chuck released ColorForth to the public domain.
>>The software is just too simple.

>To say it is "too simple" is trivializing Chuck's
>work, making it sound positively mundane.

Only if you think that's an insult. Sam's not using it
that way -- it's a description, absent of value judgement.

It IS simple, and that makes Sam's conclusion necessary:
you can't protect it once people know it's possible.

> -- Art

-Billy