Re: [colorforth] Unused character encodings available in Colorforth

On Sunday 22 February 2004 09:39 am, Bill Parker wrote:
> It seems like the 'space' encoding of 0 000 is only
> used to fill out the unused portion of packed words.
> If that is true, it seems like 'space' should be an
> inefficient 7 bit character rather than one of the
> premium 4 bit characters.

This is because his encoding is NOT Huffman encoding.  It's Shannon
encoding.  I really don't know why everyone insists it is Huffman
encoding.  True Huffman encoding involves structuring a binary tree of
characters according to their frequencies found in a corpus of text.  If
it were true Huffman coding, then you'd be seeing two-bit encodings for
the most frequently used characters.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II