Re: [colorforth] ForthBox and FPGA (was: Ideas)

How well documented are the 'older' PCI graphics cards? I was thinking along the lines of using the flashable ROM in these things to slap in some CF/Forth and using the built in graphics chip to its advantage. It would be programmed initially on any PCI'd PC and then slotted into a homebrew terminal of sorts, which would need the PCI interface, psu, keyboard/mouse (I am unsure as to how you'd get it to 'boot' off the ROM in the card, if at all possible). These older graphics cards can be picked up quite cheaply and would take care of a lot of the VGA/display overheads. There's quite a bit of memory on these things too, mostly they come in at 32MB, but I don't know how big their flashable ROMs are. I came across the Ubicom SX chips some time ago (http://www.ubicom.com/products/sx/sx.html) and the price of the basic kit I found (http://www.milinst.com/devtools/developmenttools.htm#scenix) seemed reasonable. I feel that, whatever the system, it should reflect modern trends and still be within reach. Maybe ARM is the way. It's a case of pros and cons and then settling for the optimal performance/cost solution.

I'm willing to donate a website to the project (www.m-i-s-c.net) whichever form it ends up reaching (z80, 6502, PCI cards, whatever) and email addresses at the site to discuss and publish ideas. I've got 200MB for email/webmail accounts, so I can divvy that up into 20x10MB accounts or 40x5MB accounts.

If anyone is up for board design we could even get these done and sold on the site, with the surplus going towards the X18 (if he's willing!).

I personally wouldn't mind going the route of opening up an old calculator, stuffing it with a muP21 and hooking it into one of those portable LCD TVs.

Cheers,

Luis.