Re: [colorforth] ForthBox and FPGA

Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:

On Monday 01 March 2004 05:17 pm, Mark Slicker wrote:

I've used the Xilinx tools on Windows, but was not too impressed at
the time. Plus, if I remember right some of job of software is compile
abstract specifications in VHDL. Could the FPGA be succefully
addressed at a lower level?

Yes, it can. But it's inconvenient to do so, because you need to set up gate-level descriptions of hardware in VHDL/Verilog. It's verbose, it's error-prone, but if you can pull it off, it is well worth it.

I would *love* to be able to exploit an FPGA chip at a low level via Forth. If someone can reveal the internal chip programming format, then I'd do it in a heart beat. Simulation would even be trivial.

Everyone would love to do that.
What i woud love is to go inside each
of the previous messages, hack some PC ROM,
or perhaps a network card boot rom, with forth on it.
Would be great, could flash itself...... =)
the CIH virus flashed BIOSes, I would
love to know how one does that.
(hardware cost=0$)

FPGA internal programming....