RE: [colorforth] TCP State Engine

Hi Oninshiko,

I took a look at net.blk - there is some interesting stuff there!
I presume that tftpd is a TFTP daemon. Nice...
Which bits are yours?
I could only find -tcp . Is there any more yet?

When I looked at TCP a few years ago I decided that it needed to be
simplified down to a useful subset.
The state machine covers all manner of situations most of which could
probably be ignored.
The problem I have in doing this is that TCP tries to be a generic "file
over IP" system, but all of the applications that use, except for ones that
transfer arbitrarily large files, only use packets.
For example, Telnet ( in one form ) collects characters then sends them as a
TCP packet when you hit <enter>.
For this you only need to implement TCP packet transfer, without retries,
sliding windows, packet re-ordering etc.
The simple packet transfer would be similar to UDP, and would probably not
require the usual state machine.

One day I hope to configure a Linux box as a PPP/TCP daemon to allow me to
test my code on it.
You may find PPP.com ( http://www.inventio.co.uk/PPPcom.htm )useful reading
( blocks 684 and 780 - "LOC TCP" and "LOC .TCP" ) for the structure of TCP
packets.

Best wishes & good luck!

Howerd