Re: [colorforth] TCP State Engine

---- Original message ----

howerd.oakford@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> While I agree that a TCP implementation can be reduced
compared to its
>> more generalized implementation in Linux, for example, you
*cannot* get
>> rid of sliding windows (even if it is just a window of one
packet),
>> retries, and packet re-ordering.  These things are there
because of the
>> very nature of IP itself.  To simplify TCP any further,
you need either
>> a reliable datagram service, such as AX.25 (or, for that
matter, any
>> other variant of X.25), or you need to very tightly
control the
>> electrical parameters under which your network is
operating to ensure
>> pristine data delivery.  I won't get into the
schizophrenia behind the
>> horror that is X.25, or the veritable Cthulu that is
AX.25.  And I
>> certainly won't get into the routing messes that happen
all-too-often
>> once the average IP packet leaves your local network and
enters the
>> global switching fabric.
>
>All this sounds horrible. What could we simplify if we use
only the
>network hardware to communicate between two Forth boxes?

I wouldn't give up yet. Chuck sugests on his page that TCP/IP
could be done in 3 blocks. We have one block for IP, so maybe
two blocks for TCP.

Complexity here is perhaps the price of admision for
communicating with the world. There is no doubt things could
be simpler.

Mark