Re: [colorforth] TCP State Engine

On Thursday 15 April 2004 01:53 pm, maslicke@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Is this more floundering speculation, or did actually have
> something to say about TCP?

What I'm about to write is basically a message of support for BOTH sides
of this issue.

HTTP is basically, as most Internet protocols, a refinement of Telnet.
And Telnet is itself nothing more than the most basic application of
TCP.  It follows, then, that a tool analogous to wget can be implemented
in Forth in as little as 5 blocks, quite easily, 3 for TCP, one for the
actual act of grabbing the data, and maybe one or two for handling
recursion into the retrieved HTML file, so as to handle automatic
grabbing of pictures and the like.

It is the *rendering* of the web page that will take the additional
blocks.  However, I am fundamentally opposed to having an all-in-one
file-grabber-and-viewer utility anyway.  I think a browser should do
just that: browse.  The network interface should just be a plug-in to
the browser proper.

> Right, Forth is not appropriate for anything but the most
> trivial applications.

I couldn't agree more with this.  Fortunately for us, most problems are
quite trivial, as long as you let go of certain basic assumptions and
presuppositions (such as, for example, a web "browser" being something
that (a) handles network file retrieval for you, (b) performs rendering,
(c) handles e-mail for you, (d) is responsible for displaying animations
and the like, (e) probably more that I completely forgot about).

--
Samuel A. Falvo II