Re: [colorforth] TCP State Engine

--- Jonah Thomas <j2thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> maslicke@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Thanks for reiterating the obvious. A Web Browser
> is an
> > example use of TCP, unless you want to create a
> Forth web
> > which I don't think can compete content wise. A
> local Linux
> > based proxy was once mentioned, this is just
> shuffling the
> > complexity elsewhere, not solving the actual
> problem.
>
> Sorry if it was too obvious.
>
> The point is, if you want a web browser you have to
> be compatible with
> as much of the existing complexity as you want to
> browse.  That isn't
> going to be any 3-block solution.  You might get TCP
> in 3 blocks,
> maybe, but you aren't going to get much of a web
> browser that way.

I'm not sure if I'm following you.  Are you
saying that A) you won't get a decent web
browser in 3 blocks (nobody's arguing that)
or are you saying that B) a TCP connection
that is only 3 blocks won't support
a decent web browser?

If the answer is B) then what is the functionality
of TCP that you think is going to cause most of
the code?  And why is that web browser specific?
The main thing that TCP is needed for is HTTP.
That's not a particularly hard or exiting job.
The same HTTP needed to support Lynx is needed
to support Mozilla X.X.

> If the messages you want to send and receive over
> TCP are your own
> kind, then you can do it the way you want.  It won't
> compete with web
> browsers but it might be perfect for refrigerators
> and stoves and such
> to communicate over the net.

If you're using a web server/browser of any kind
you have to support HTTP.  It doesn't matter
whether it's on a refrigerator or a Pentium 4.
Anyway I think Chuck's "3 screen" estimate was
based on his work at iTV.  From all accounts
I've read it supported a non-trivial browser.
True I don't think it would do JavaScript or
Flash but that really has nothing to do with
the size of the TCP code.

Regards,

John M. Drake