Re: [colorforth] TCP State Engine

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:

> Claiming that I am trying to "convince myself" [ ... ]

> I have no need for self-convincing.  I'm already convinced.

Who are you trying to convince then? I made no claims, but this the
only logical possibility remaining.

> > I still reject the idea that all problems are trivial. I don't think
>
> You took my writing way too literally.  It was rather obvious from the
> context that this is an idiomatic expression meaning, in this case, "We
> aren't nearly as burdened by the details as our competitors are, because
> we think about them *differently*, or *ignore them completely*;
> therefore, our solutions to said `problem' are equally vastly simpler in
> comparison."

First I can't read, now I read too well, which is it? I don't see anything
resembling a Chuck Moore exposition in your writing. I didn't see the
argument that trivial means a trivial amount of code.

> My point was that if you let lose the basic assumptions that are
> *commonly associated* with something, in this case that a "web browser"
> is an all-inclusive monster that is fully capable of executing Flash
> plug-ins, Java, Javascript, et. al., that the problem becomes very much
> simpler.

You or me? Or someone else here? Who here is holding onto these
assumtions?

> And, frankly, grabbing an HTML page off an HTTP server *is* trivial.

A web browser is not grabbing a page, don't try to change the subject.

> > these things right is a very real challenge. If anyone disagrees, we
> > should be seeing code from you very soon.
>
> Your challenge is bogus, and an obvious (and childish) attempt at my
> credibility;

My challenge is independent of anything you wrote. If these things really
are trivial, we should see them already.

> it does nothing to forward your views, but does affect your
> credibility in a negative manner.

I am not trying to foward my views, I'm not interested in my views. I like
truth, that is what thrive on. I think this space has been violated in
many ways.

I've made no attempt on anyone's credibility, but now I see attemps are
made on mine.

>  I already explained that people pay
> for my code, and that takes up much of my bandwidth, as does going to
> school.

If things are trivial it should not matter, if something represents a
signifigant challenge then yes, I would expect school and work to impeed
progress, as it does for me.

>  It's also a logical fallacy, claiming indirectly that I don't
> know what I'm talking about just because I have not contributed any
> particular ColorForth code.

Your right, it is a logical fallacy, one no one here has commited.

> It speaks nothing of my, oh say, 20 year real-world software development
> experience, my ability to design software, or my ability to see the
> over-arching "big picture" (as managers love to call it).

I don't question your experience or ability, however I don't see the
evidence that would lead me to trust your estimates of code in colorForth.

Mark