Re: [colorforth] TCP State Engine

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, John R. Strohm wrote:

> "Albert van der Horst" <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
<SNIP>

> Not that much, when you get right down to it.
>
> No matter what you do, down where the electrons (or photons) meet the
> conducting media (or fiber), there exists some probability greater than zero
> that any given packet will be damaged or destroyed.  In order to get
> reliable end-to-end operation, the protocols in between have to deal with
> damaged, destroyed, or even duplicate packets.  Most of the complexity in
> the total protocol stack that we collectively refer to as "TCP/IP" comes
> from that requirement.
>
> Packets may be damaged.  At the least, you need error detection and
> retransmission.  If you have lots of bandwidth (network or processing or
> both) to spare, you can do error correction.
>
> Packets may be dropped entirely.  You'd like to detect this, and retransmit
> the dropped packets.
>
> Depending on how you handle retransmission of damaged or dropped packets,
> you might even see duplicated packets.  (Imagine what happens if a packet
> goes one way and arrives intact, but the acknowledgement for that packet,
> that goes the other way, gets damaged or dropped.)

My linux boxes are next to each other. Invariably ping goes without error.

I have this 100+ network of transputers here. I have calculated
twin primes up till 1000 billion, and these beasts have no retransmission
but sometimes the whole shebang goes tilt. A total of 300+ processor
months.
As far as I have checked the results (a few percent), they are correct.
Local networks are pretty reliable I guess.

What I want to start with is two boxes with colorforth, two network
cards and the ability to send
1 1 + .
en get back
2 OK
If one in two months there is a glitch on the power net and the
communication hangs, that is fine with me.

Next step is to backup the colorforth hard disk onto files on my
linux network.

Groetjes Albert

        One man-hour to invent,
                One man-week to implement,