Re: [colorforth] End-to-End Internet Packet Dynamics

Mark Slicker <maslicke@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have not yet finished it. Perhaps a TCP implementation could be informed
> by such a study.

I think this paper has a good discussion of the difficulties and pitfalls
awaiting a TCP implementation.  However, much more is needed.

For an intro, try

M. J. Donahoo and K. L. Calvert, TCP/IP Sockets in C.

That book is 130pp, $14.95

However, in its introduction, the authors say, "This book will not make
you an expert!  That takes years of experience, as well as other, more
comprehensive, resources."  They then cite the Stevens books.

And I recollect a passage in one of the Stevens books which advised
that trying to implement solid TCP/IP code from a book was not
possible, that it was necessary to study working code to be
successful.

www.ssfnet.org/Exchange/tcp/tcpTutorialNotes.html

--
KBK