RE: [colorforth] End-to-End Internet Packet Dynamics

Hi Mark,

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Mark Slicker wrote:

[snip]

> Reconsidering my posts, perhaps my quarl is not with TCP, but the
> inappropriate use of TCP. TCP is good at emulating the infinite
> bidirectional Unix pipe.
Exactly. This is why TCP is difficult to implement in an environment that is
so different from Unix - no files, no pipes...

BTW I think the TCP window value is an indication of the free buffer size on
the receiving side. In the old days your PC may not have had 8K free, so the
window size indicated to the transmit side the maximum amount of data to
send before waiting for an ACK, and a new window value. These days I think a
fixed window size of 8K would be fine.

Regards

Howerd