Re: [colorforth] Yes, but does it do Windows?

On Thu, 6 May 2004, John Drake wrote:

> --- Albert van der Horst <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 May 2004, Daniel Roe wrote:
>
> > The real colorforth doesn't run under an OS,
> > except in X-windows as and educational version.
>
> Along with the X-windows version there is an
> MS-Windows version which has been available for
> some time now.  I often use it and I've moved
> blocks between "native" ColorForth and the
> Windows version.  I've never used the X-windows
> version, but the MS-Windows version maintains
> the look and feel of native ColorForth.

Thanks for the information. Maybe that is a nice way
for me to get experience with colorforth.

<SNIP>

> I guess the real question is what is the
> target audience for the applications,
> and will the target audience accept a
> somewhat different interface?

Interestingly, my ciforth hasn't even an interface to dll's.
So it doesn't "do windows" at all!
The last big Dutch computerfair, the Dutch Fig Chapter
demonstrated two metallophones, driven by ciforth on a crappy
windows 95 system.
Songs are started by a command interface: "rmanx song.sco".
But the user interface is a window of clickable song-icons,
that also can be right clicked to reveal information about
the song, to edit the score etc.
This is in fact superior to a traditional "file edit help "
window, and the program takes about 100 kByte!

The bottom line, a forth that "isn't a real windows forth"
can be made to make "real windows" applications.
(And yes, you can put all the songs in a batch file, then
play them using Forth to have a random delay between them,
we demonstrated that too. )

> John M. Drake
Groetjes Albert