Re: [colorforth] /. and the new bios

---- Original message ----
>Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:28:41 -0400
>From: "Arthur W. Green" <goshawk@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [colorforth] /. and the new bios
>To: <colorforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Albert van der Horst <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Nevertheless it is exciting and good news. It is much easier
>>to transform commented c into Forth than uncommented
assembler.
>>This opens the prospect of adding colorforth to the BIOS-
rom,
>>to be started with a special key stroke like ctrl-alt-F.
>
>I am not so optimistic.
>
>We are only drifting further away from the bare metal. Open
Firmware, far
>from being an impetus to the development of "alternative"
operating
>systems, instead succeeded in being more of a barrier.

There are many people who would like to cripple the PC. There
is something known as DRM (Digital Rights Managment), the
intention is to impose artificial copying restrictions on
digital media. I have even heard of DRM in the bios,
althougth I don't exactly the mechanisms employed. Microsoft
has been the major proponent of this crippleware.

I don't know what the intentions of Intel, however I share
your skepticism of the new bios potential. The best
information to write drivers is the data sheet, if the source
is available many times the data sheet is available as well.
Most of the chips on my motherboard are documented. I believe
it would be possible to write a minimal bios, perhaps with
Albert's tool to fill any gaps in documentation.

Mark