Re: [colorforth] shifted huffman trees

--- Mark Slicker <maslicke@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For the bit-stream you would need a prefix-code
> because the tags are variable length. For a known
> word-length, you are right, that should work.

I realize now that my past posts (which all tend to
just talk about 'encoding') have not been at all clear
that I was only talking about the encoding of
information in the target machine's memory.  I think
that's part of the reason I had trouble understanding
some of Mr. Moore's criticisms.

I haven't given much thought to transmitting
information in a bit-stream because I don't have two
machines running colorForth.  But I would imagine it
would be very different than how one might choose to
store the preparsed data on the target machine.

For example, I'm not even sure I would send tags at
all.  The bit stream might look a lot more like
operator input.  I could see keeping a 'space'
character to break between words of the same type
(tag) and only sending tag-like information when the
type of word changes.  Numbers would probably be sent
variable-length with the most significant bit sign
extended on the receiving end.  (I think someone here
already talked about that).