Re: [colorforth] can you help? llew

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:28:52 +0000, llew <llew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've just discovered colorforth and would like to get a copy for my GNU/Linux sys.  I have played with forth but some time ago(in the days when we soldered forth chips piggy back on top of ZX81 chip!!).

Usually, ColorForth runs natively, but you can get a version that
works for X11. It's available on Mark Slicker's site,
http://personalwebs.oakland.edu/~maslicke/colorforth/. If you're
looking for a native one, the vesa image on the above site works on
every computer I've tried it on, in case Chuck Moore's own does not
work for you.

> I would also like to get any documentation/howto avilable. I've tried net serch by didn't get very far.

Colorforth's interface is VERY different from pretty much anything
else I've seen or used. on http://www.colorforth.com you can find the
base concepts, including (if you click a little further) how the
keyboard works. I think somebody was working on a colorforth tutorial,
but I don't remember who or when it will be done.

> any help would be appreciated.

You can come by the IRC channel #c4th on the server irc.freenode.net
anytime, and the people there (usually including me) will be glad to
give you a hand getting yourself familiarized with Colorforth. The
best thing to do is to either have a separate colorforth computer, or
use VMWare, which works very well with the vesa image above. Of
course, Xcolorforth etc. work too, in fact that is how I first learned
the concepts.

Theres alot of unique stuff to ColorForth. Maybe thats why we like it.
Either way, once you're hooked, you can't stop :)

-- Chris

> llew

I F34R N0N3 F0R F0RTH SH4LL GUID3 M3