Re: [colorforth] Game Programming Blog

Hi Roger,
Ray here,

Thanks for checking in, I appreciate it. Missed your chats. :-)

I was wondering...
But, it's great to see you have your priorities straight.

Bring you up to date. Tim Neitz, ( you know him as rj_cf in the #c4th
and #c4th-ot irc.freenode.net chats ) has done alot with the
mulit-tasking colorforth of late. It's his intention to beable to run
several apps in any of 5 virtual consols, and he's been kicking around
the idea of a protected vc for developing code without crashing the
colorforth environment. When you know your code is bullet proof, you
can run it in a 'normal', unprotected vc. So far, it's very cool,
because you can have several apps running and switch between them with
the function keys F1-thu-F6. Tim would like to see a colorforth coded
editor to run in the vc's.

To that end....

Mark Slicker joined the chat last week and shared with us some block
viewer code, which I added navagatable keyboard support at the request
and under the supervision of Tim.
Next, i will print the block number in the viewer. After that, Tim or
I will add the cursor. Then we'll begin to convert the viewer for
double duty as part of the cf-editor-in-cf.
Marks conversation, unfortunatly, was not logged on the public log as
the log was down. I've got the complete transcript and will feed it
into the log as soon as i can. The code, as it stands, can be found at
Tims archive under mtcf directory.

( question for Mark Slicker, "What's ' ?ring ' in the viewer code do?
I was gonna cut it but i thought better to ask, first. )

Tim mentioned doing an ascii version of dump and I suggested Howerd
Oakford's ascii dump, which I was thrilled to see when I finaly got a
machine to run Howerd's collection.

So, we're expanding the block range of Tim's mtcf which is coded in
Peter Appelman's nasm port called 'smallFonts', to add more fun stuff.
I'd like to put your sprite code and cool bitmap editor in there too.

I've finally got all the parts i need to build a pentium 2 and will
try to run everything i've collected over the years as a test. As it
is now, I can't run Howerds, or 'save' Peter's code on the Compaq
pentium4, but i can on my pentium 1, but the multi-tasker doesn't run
on the p1, just the p4. :-) get it. So, I hope to allieviate all my
problems with my old rebuilt P2. If everything works on the p2, then
it will become my dedicated cf workstation.

I fixed c4thchess so that it has a letter on the screen that toggles
whose move it is. Also, it's no longer necessary to hit the 'm' mover
command now, it's handled by the direction you choose to move in. I've
gone on to version 4 of my colorforth chess series, this time using a
jump table. Version 5 will use an array and introduce the board
co-ordinante subset of the Chess Algebra. Version 6 will add the full
algebra. V7 a simple AI, v8 complex AI, v9 world domination.

Hope you enjoy your spring break!.

Till next time
Ray

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:15:12 -0500, rlevy <rlevy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For those of you that don't know me, I'm a 21-year old game programmer
> in Maryland who uses Forth exclusively to program games. I've started a
> blog, tentatively named Heartfelt Codes, here: http://rogerlevy.blogspot.com
>
> To #c4th: A while ago I dropped out of the chat rooms without notice
> to concentrate more on schoolwork. So if you were wondering what
> happened to me, that's what it was. If I had more time, I'd be playing with
> ColorForth.
>
> Roger

Ray St. Marie
Rastm2ATusersDOTsourceforgeDOTnet and aolDOTcom
Ray.StMarieATgmailDOTcom and ATsbcglobalDOTnet
Ray_stmarieAThotmailDOTcom
Raystm2 and rastm2 in Internet Relay Chat (irc)
/connect  irc.freenode.net Busness discussion: /join #biz
ColorForth: /join #c4th #c4th-ot Forth: /join #retro #forth #concatenative
Programming: /join #python #lisp #scheme #asm