Re: [colorforth] New Linux 4word

On Fri Apr  8 10:57 , albert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Albert van der Horst) sent:

>On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 05:18:56PM -0400, Mark Slicker wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Albert van der Horst wrote:
>>
>> >Is there is a binary dump from the latest officialy colorforth?
>> >I would love to regenerate an assembler file, like I did for
>> >retroforth. We could proceed from there.
>>
>> Anyone who is the least bit informed would know colorForth binaries (and
>> source!) have been availble virtually from the moment of its release, not
>> to mention several assembler ports. That seems a bizare starting point
>> given what has already been acomplished.
>
>You don't read my post. The bewilderment of different versions of
>colorforth is what makes me ask for a "latest official colorforth,
>even if its a binary.".
>Nobody seems to document what version of Chuck they are based on,
>or what they have accomplished. People seem to work on newer
>version sent to them by Chuck and seem not to publish those
>original versions or diffs, only their own hacks.

Albert's thoughts are so right. To me, there seems to be a number of genius hackers
using colorForth, but no-one's co-ordinating anything.

I know this sort of agrees with some of Chuck's philosophies, but in my view, with
collaboration and idea sharing, a whole lot more could be achieved.

Developers rarely enjoy documentating stuff, but to me, the develepment is only half of
the overall package. The other half is documenting it and collating it with everyone
else's development to produce a sum greater than the sum of the parts.

You really need someone to run a community web site that holds information and getting
started guides to make it more accessable.

I've tried to get started with colorForth, but it doesn't run out of the box on a
couple of PCs I've tried it on and there doesn't seem to be any help available, so in
reality that has moved it right down my project to-do list.

I admit that this is a complaint from someone who doesn't actually have much to offer.
As a professional Forth developer form several years ago, my involvement is now on a
view-only basis, but I see similar groups do such a better job of working together.

It's a real shame to see so much talent and innovation go to waste due to
inaccesibility.

Phillip Eaton
London, UK