Re: [colorforth] ColorForth in colorForth...

On Apr 8, 2005 11:17 AM, howerd.oakford <howerd.oakford@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Albert + friends,

At the very least I can name and
archive different versions...

Around October 2004 I published cfdos3.1 - an attempt to make the colorForth
names closer to ANS.
Whatever your views on ANS Forth per se, I think it is foolish to use ANS
names in colorForth with different functionality.
So I renamed them by hand-editing the binary :

Was     is now called. function
.
?dup    /dup    compiler - decides whether a dup is needed
-       invert  -1 XOR
stop    /flop   turns off the floppy disk drive motor
or      xor     bitwise XOR ( New in V3 )
--      or      bitwise OR    ( New in V3 )

This was ( as I suspected it would be, ) a big mistake.

So in cfdos4.0 I put the original binary back and re-defined the offending
words. This is less efficient at run-time, but meant that the high level
source could be ported to other systems. This allowed me to support other
binaries, such as the 800x600 pixel video versions.

Ray here,
Thank you, Howerd, for this gesture towards combining yours, thiers, and ours.
I always wanted to say something to you about that, and failed to step
up. So, you deserve kudos!

For the rest that may have not tryed this version, I recommend you do.
Any questions, ask Howerd, or myself, here, and I'm sure you will get
your answer.
Known machines that it runs on... Please copy and update the below
list with your better format and your info about your machines.

Well, you have two classifications here
1 cfdos4.exe the viewer that displays your image from .blk file on
your HDD or uploads your image from floppydisk in several optional
chunk sizes...( note as opposed to winrawwrite , the other option for
windows to move to or get from disk, which doesn't let you view the
image and uses the extension .img, not .blk, tho it will move .blk's
to or from disk in .img format even tho the file system navigator box
wont display .blk in the write or read file navigator box. Just
.img's. In other words all are images,use *.img=winrawwrite.eve,
*.blk=cfdos#)
2. the code image cfdos4.blk.

1 should run on any windows machine 98 on up
2 for me the code ran well on a pentium1 bought as salvage from the
United Airlines Sabre Reservation System, for 300USD 8 years ago. The
machine is an AST BRAVO with SiS video chipset, the video chipset
would not run many colorforths, then Tim Neitz provided  me with a
video card that could render several of the colorforth versions,
including his (nasm Appelman based port)  and Howerds ( based on
original CM colorforth and until version 4, incompatible with the
original).

Ray

--
Ray St. Marie