Re: [colorforth] merging edit time and run time

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Albert van der Horst wrote:

I can't see much wrong with this state of affairs.
There are a few things each car user should know. Use the right
fuel. Keeps the tires inflated. Etc. Rightly these are minimized.
Rightly these are stressed. But why tell him more? Unless he is
a Forther, I guess ...

Illusions can be defended by saying most won't/shouldn't care. I don't see much actual justification for illusions being erected in the first place, except for a kind of least common denominator argument. This argument is used to defend medocrity in every field.

I'm certainly interested in your opinion whether this is bad?
And if so,  what can be done about it?

The only thing that is bad, in my view, is the lack of options. If you want Microsoft to define the possibilites of a computer for you, I don't care about this.

Are we heading towards a time where everybody uses techniques
that nobody understands any more, and where the correct procedures
are followed, as a religion, without insight, like in some of
the science fiction stories of small groups that inherit a
high tech environment without a high tech culture?

I'm not familer with these stories, but this situation does not seem likely. Technology at present does not sustain itself, it needs continual renewal and maintenance.

Mark