Re: [colorforth] Test 5 am i getting thru

Hey Jeff.  Good hearing from you.

--- Jeff Fox <fox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I understand that Colorforth has several words to
> search the dictionayr.
> > One for colon works and one for values or
> variables what ever they are.
>
> Yes, they key thing is that those are editor
> functions:
>
> def name
>  searches the source for places where "name" is
> defined in red
> find name
>  searches the source for places where "name" is used
>
> the f key in the editor repeats the last find

Cool!  I did NOT know this!  There have been times
when I
was looking for the definition of something and I just
"paged" through the source until I eventually found
it.
I should have known there was a better way.

> To do the same thing in win32forth you would have to
> search
> the entire hard disk, search the whole disk for the
> string
> "name"  then you have to figure out if it was in the
> context
> of being compiled, which is a non-trivial task.

Well....not necessarily.  Sure if you're a "sloppy"
programmer that scatters source code all over the
place.  But if you only put forth source in a
particular directory tree than you don't have to
search the entire hard disk.  Technopoint
Forth has a "find in files" facility that takes
works this way.

I agree with all of your other points.  Because
CF is pre-parsed it can take advantage of it's
"knowledge" of the source code even when searching.
Nice.

Regards,

John M. Drake