Re: [colorforth] Chuck 2005-11-05 source, anyone?

>Cor! Following the link on your site for the 8051 led me astray...
>Ahh, memories :) Still prefer the Z80 :P

I'm not sure what you're talking about...I didn't think I had anything
on the web about 8051s, but I did do a bunch of stuff on the TI-86 when
it first came out, and that's Z80.  I prefer the Z80 too.  Though I've
heard the 6502 is even nicer.  :)

>Aaaanyway: This is a PPC version? I'd be very interested!

No, I just did a disassembly listing of Chuck's colorforth, the new one
that Jeff released around Christmas, and put in all the names and
whatnot.  colorforth is pretty tightly tied to the x86 and specific PC
hardware.  A couple of its design decisions are NOT a good match for PPC
(or other RISC chips).

*blatant plug*

The only colorforth-like project for PPC that I know of is herkforth.
Unfortunately he's currently in the middle of doing a rewrite that runs
on top of a portable VM, so that more people can run it.  But the old
codebase is still available, so if you're on PPC you might take a look:

http://jasonwoof.org/herkforth

It has a dictionary similar to Jeff Fox's aha, and a very nice user
interface.  I have a vague suspicion that it inspired the new 'find'
feature in colorforth, for instance. :)  Herkforth also has key commands
to go to the definition of the word under the cursor, and maintains a
history stack so you can get back to where you were.

Anyway, since I got two responses right away, I guess I'll finish the
disassembly, and probably comment it too -- Chuck is WAY too fond of
magic numbers and cryptic names.

--Josh