Re: [colorforth] Running the x18 simulator from Xwindows Colorforth?

--- "Ray St. Marie" <ray.stmarie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi John
> Ray here:
>
> I've never been able to run the x18 in windows cF.
> it just crashes for me. I believe that it was
> intended
> to run native. I've often wondered if Roman got it
> working.

Yeah.  That's due to "memory protection" problems.
If you execute:

2 block @

it crashes.  And since the simulator uses block
memory for words like "mem" and "memory"...well
it's bound to crash.  :(

> You might consider moving the blocks to one of the
> natives that work for you, then testing again.
> I'd love to try this, I just don't have any time
> till maybe
> August.
>
> Best of luck
> Ray

Yeah.  I realized that was the next step.  Just
wondering if anyone had done that before me.
Anyway, I got the simulator running under
the Qemu distribution.

The blocks:
http://quartus.net/twiki/pub/Main/ColorForth/cfx18qemu.blk

The Qemu image:
http://quartus.net/twiki/pub/Main/ColorForth/cfx18qemu.img

Now I'm back to the place I was before which is...
I have NO clue what to do once the sim is up and
running.

Oh, I've read the Chuck Moore papers on the subject.

http://dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/forth/euro/ef01/moore01a.pdf
http://dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/forth/euro/ef01/moore01b.pdf

And I can run the simulator (by loading block 42
in the Qemu version I made).  I see the register
display on the screen.  I can "step" ok.  But
that's about it.  So do I edit x18 code in a
regular ColorForth block, load it and "execute"
it?  Just not sure what to do.  It would be nice
if someone with a little more experience gave
a few screen shots of a x18 (or 25x) edit -
compile - execute session.

Regards,

John M. Drake